What is the Difference Between Uninsured Motorist Coverage and Liability Insurance?

When it comes to auto insurance, there are two types of coverage that are essential for all drivers: uninsured motorist insurance (UMI) and underinsured motorist coverage (UIM). Both of these coverages are designed to protect you in the event of an accident with an at-fault driver who doesn't have enough liability insurance to cover the costs of any injuries or damages. UMI is designed to cover medical bills and any damage to your vehicle caused by an uninsured driver. UIM, on the other hand, intervenes when you have an accident with an at-fault driver whose limits of liability are too low to cover the medical expenses of any injured person.

This type of coverage will pay for any medical bills or property damage that exceed the other driver's liability limits. Both coverages are mandatory in many states and highly recommended for all drivers. If you are the victim of a hit and run accident, you can file a claim against your coverage for uninsured motorists. BI stands for liability for bodily injury, PD stands for liability for property damage, and UM stands for coverage for uninsured motorists.

Without coverage for uninsured drivers, if you are injured or your vehicle is damaged in an accident with an uninsured or underinsured driver, you could end up paying for medical bills or vehicle repairs out of your own pocket. Some states group policies for uninsured and underinsured drivers as a type of coverage in their auto insurance policy. Your uninsured motorist policy may include both types, or you may have to purchase each type of coverage separately. If the other driver's property damage liability limits cannot cover the damage to your car in full, you can seek compensation from your own collision coverage or take the other driver to court. However, even if Unified Messaging coverage isn't mandatory in your state, you're at serious risk if you drive without it. States that require coverage for both uninsured and underinsured people include Connecticut, Illinois, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, Minnesota, Nebraska, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, North Carolina, North Dakota, Oregon, South Dakota, Vermont, Virginia, and West Virginia.

In addition, USAA offers auto insurance in all 50 states and can meet any coverage requirements for uninsured or underinsured drivers. However, in some states, uninsured motorist coverage for uninsured property damage (UMPD) won't cover hit-and-run incidents. Some states require companies to automatically include coverage for uninsured drivers, and drivers can decline it upon receiving a car insurance quote. Underinsured motorist coverage (UIM) pays for your medical bills and those of your passengers when a driver without sufficient liability coverage causes an accident. If you can afford full-coverage insurance, coverage for uninsured or underinsured drivers is generally worth it.

Gertraude Jackel
Gertraude Jackel

Avid food trailblazer. Unapologetic pop culture geek. Extreme twitter maven. Devoted beer trailblazer. Infuriatingly humble twitter scholar.